The Juniper Institute for Young Writers offers high school students of diverse backgrounds, life experiences, and writing styles the opportunity to experience the writer’s life, find inspiration, and be part of a community of creative peers. We welcome applications from high school students currently completing their freshman, sophomore, or junior years. We operate on a rolling admissions basis, and we do our best to make admission decisions within 2-6 weeks of receiving applications. **Response time will be longer in January, and around the March 1 scholarship deadline.**
Once accepted, enrollment in the JIYW is guaranteed on a first-come, first-served basis. You will need to register and pay a non-refundable $200 deposit to secure your space.
Application materials include:
- Application Documents:
- Writing sample
- Personal Statement
- Scholarship essay (SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR 2018)
- Email address for a teacher, educational consultant, professional tutor, or guidance counselor who has agreed to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf
During the online application process, you will be asked to enter the email address and name of your recommender. From there, the recommender will receive email instructions for how to submit a letter of recommendation. Please obtain permission from your recommender before submitting their contact information in your application!
The following three elements should be saved in separate documents (doc, docx, pdf, rtf, or txt). Please include your name & email address as a header or footer of the document:
- Writing Sample: The strength and promise of the writing sample is the most important aspect of your application. It should be 5-7 pages of fiction (double-spaced) or poetry (one poem per page). Samples should be saved in one document (doc, docx, pdf, rtf, or txt). Please include your name & email address as a header or footer.
- Personal Statement: This statement of no more than 300 words should describe your interest in the Juniper Institute for Young Writers. Please explain why this would be a meaningful opportunity for you and what you think you can contribute to the Institute.
- SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2018 Scholarship Essay (if applying for funding): Scholarship support is intended for those participants whose families cannot afford the full cost of the program. Please write a brief statement (no more than 300 words) addressing how receiving a scholarship would affect your ability to attend the Juniper Institute for Young Writers.
Be sure to whitelist submittable.com or check your spam folder to ensure you receive notification emails related to your submission.